Aerosols dispense a wide variety of products including deodorant, shaving foam, pastes, gels, paint and edible products. They perform well across a range of sectors from personal care, to paint and foods. As a leading supplier, Tata Steel would like to explore potential collaboration in the following areas:
- Design of aerosol top and bottoms to support implementation of thinner Tata Steel materials in combination with adapted can and tooling design to reduce cost.
- Improve can performance by improving the shelf life.
- Explore the potential to manufacture shaped aerosols.
Steel packaging protects and preserves everything from meat, fish, soups and oils to tea, coffee and milk. The heat sterilisation process preserves food naturally in a safe, strong, and convenient pack without having to rely on additives and preservatives. The food can offers brands a reliable, safe and secure packaging format. As a leading supplier, Tata Steel would like to explore potential collaboration in the following areas:
- Design of food can bodies to support implementation of thinner Tata Steel materials in combination with adapted can and tooling design to reduce cost.
- Re-design of the ‘easy open end’ to improve opening convenience.
- Explore the potential to manufacture shaped (food) cans.
The use of steel cans to package food has a number of major advantages:
- Food packaged in steel cans can be just as nutritious (and sometimes more nutritious) than fresh and frozen varieties.
- Steel cans are a sustainable choice, as the material is 100% recyclable.
- Food cans can be stored for years at room temperature without losing nutrition.
- Despite these advantages, the consumer perception of canned food is generally poor. Any initiative that helps to change the current consumer perception is welcome.
Worldwide, more than one third of food is lost between field and fork. Almost 50% of Tata Steel’s Packaging steel ends up in food cans and Tata Steel can be a major influence on increasing food efficiency.
- In developed countries, the main challenge is to raise awareness on the impact of, and the solutions for, food loss and waste.
- In developing countries, the main challenge is to increase collaboration and coordination in the food supply chain, to decrease food loss.
Tata Steel supplies laminated steels (Protact), enabling a significant downscaling of the canmaking line - initial internal studies show that it is possible to make a can on the back of a lorry, thereby enabling canning of food to be closer to where it is produced. Tata Steel is interested in any initiative that helps to increase food efficiency.